Arizona Electronic Liens & Titles (ELT)

Frequently Asked Questions about ELT in Arizona:

Arizona MVD says I need to have an EIN number. What is that?

The Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) notified lenders that "all lenders conducting business will be required to transmit lien information through an approved Service Provider." When you sign up for the program, AADA (as the ELT program administrator in Arizona) sets you up as an ELT participant and assigns you a number that you then use on all title applications. They refer to this number as an EIN number.

What is an EIN?

Employer Identification Number. The term comes because the ELT "EIN" number is often the same as the FEIN number assigned by the IRS. The AADA will assign an alternative number on occassion and when requested to do so.

Who is required to participate?

All lenders except those only providing financing for mobile homes. This includes out of state lenders.

How do I sign up for the ELT program?

You need to complete an application form "Application for Enrollment/Change in Electronic Lien and Title System". Arizona does not require a contract or agreement (as many other ELT states do). They do however require that you work with a "Service Provider" from the list of those on the form. DDI is a service provider for Arizona. Visit to get a copy of the state application and our service agreement. Participation approval (and EIN assignment) takes only 2-3 days.

How do I switch service providers?

Letters need to be sent from both service providers and from the lienholder to AADA. Detailed instructions are available at

Can I just register for the program and then ask for paper titles?

Arizona only allows the printing of paper titles with liens for specific cases. There is also a $10.00 penalty assessed for each Paper Title with lien requested. Acceptable reasons for requesting a paper title are:

  • Change of lien information
  • Adding or changing a lienholder or owner
  • Change to owner or lienholder legal status
  • Adding an Arizona brand
  • Correcting the Vehicle Identification Number
  • Correcting the vehicle year
  • Correcting odometer
  • Correcting the make
  • Changing body style
  • Customer is moving out-of-state

Repossession does not require a paper title.

Is there an expedited title print process? How does it work?

On a lien release, Arizona allows the lender to specify that a title should be released immediately and made available for the vehicle owner to pick up a printed title. The owner can then pick up a title from any MVD office. The expedited release takes at most two hours to update through MVD's systems. The owner should present identification and is responsible for the over-the-counter fee.

How does the repossession process work? Is a paper title required?

Complete a Repossession Affadavit and submit it to the MVD. For immediate sales, the affidavit can include purchaser information and a new title will be issued in the purchaser's name. Otherwise a clear title will be issued in the name of the lienholder.

Does Arizona MVD have any other fees?

Arizona MVD does charge the lienholder $1.00 Electronic notification fee at the time it is sent to the provider and a $1.00 release fee when you release your lien.  These fees will be included in your monthly invoice from DDI.

Premier eTitleLien® Decision Dynamics, Inc.